This is the station from the footpath which leads from the High Street, over the top of Bangor tunnel and onto Bangor mountain. There are some old photos around which give a clearer view, but recent tree growth makes it impossible to avoid foliage in the photo.
Bangor was the western terminus of the line for almost two years, before the Britannia bridge was completed. The station was designed by Francis Thompson and opened on 1st May 1948. The main building, in the centre of the picture, is little changed, and still bears the crest of the Chester and Holyhead Railway, the only station to feature these. The large house on the right of the picture was built for the District Engineer and is now a showroom for Period Interiors.
The station was enlarged in 1927, the up platform being transformed into an island. With the closure of local branches in 1964, the station retracted in size and the new platform now faces onto a car park.
The former platform on the down side is no longer used, but the track survives and is occasionally used for stabling trains. It's now accessible only from the western end.
The stairs leading to the footbridge
As part of the enlargements and improvements made by the LMS shortly after the 1923 grouping, a new booking office was built. This plaque still adorns one wall.
Bangor motive power depot closed in 1965, the same year that the class 37 locomotive, itself now under threat, was built.
In 1952 37 locos were based here and 212 men employed. This was in addition to staff engaged in the booking office and goods departments, signalmen, carriage cleaners etc.
We end with a view from above Belmont tunnel, looking east towards Bangor tunnel. 37 408 Loch Rannoch is leaving with the 10:07 Birmingham New Street to Holyhead service while a 153 slips away with a Holyhead to Llandudno local.
Scenes from the past: 14 Railways of North Wales, Bangor
W.G. Rear (price £7.95)
Foxline Publishing ISBN 1 870119 18 5
Return to Bikes and Trains North
Wales Coast page
Return to Bikes and Trains main page